Term of Use
Please read carefully
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
Hi! We are the people running Code Possible. Our goal with Code Possible is to make learning how to code easier. We're doing that by providing a Software Development learning resources platform.
- codepossible.org and all subdomains and domain variants.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so — for example, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We collect information if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Now we'll go over what we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It's probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Communications With Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, contact us or sign-up for our newsletter.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some things automatically.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions users perform on codepossible.org — in other words, who did what, when, and to what thing on a site. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, features used by you, along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better — for example, if we see a surprisingly large group of users are accessing Code Possible on smartphones, we will work harder on mobile-compatibility.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To further develop and improve our Services — for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to learn how to code more efficiently.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use.
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition.
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services.
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers or promotions related to Code Possible, to solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Code Possible and our products.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account — for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device; or
(2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information — for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
(5) You have given us your consent.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users' private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you, like those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers).
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Code Possible, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via an email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor on Code Possible's websites, such as the visitor's IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Code Possible websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong on our websites.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: You are free to use Code Possible without an account.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Code Possible adheres to "do not track" signals across all of our Services. You can also usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Code Possible's websites, with the drawback that certain features of Code Possible's websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the "GDPR"), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Controllers and Responsible Companies
Code Possible's Services are worldwide. Google is the controller (or co-controller) of personal information, which means that they are the company responsible for processing that information, based on the particular service and the location of the individual using our Services.
How to Reach Us
Other Things You May Want to Know
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Added the Term of Use, including information to reflect the requirements of the EU's General Data Protection Regulation
Terms of Service
By accessing the website at https://codepossible.org and all subdomains, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms of service, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site.
- The materials on Code Possible's website are provided on an 'as is' basis. Code Possible makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties including, without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
- Further, Code Possible does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall Code Possible or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Code Possible's website, even if Code Possible or a Code Possible authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
4. Accuracy of materials
The materials appearing on Code Possible website could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Code Possible does not warrant that any of the materials on its website are accurate, complete or current. Code Possible may make changes to the materials contained on its website at any time without notice. However Code Possible does not make any commitment to update the materials.
Code Possible has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its website and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Code Possible of the site. Use of any such linked website is at the user's own risk.
Code Possible may revise these terms of service for its website at any time without notice. By using this website you are agreeing to be bound by the then current version of these terms of service.